Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Hobby

12 years I came across a simple recipe for cutout cookies. I wanted to make something for a work bake sale so I thought why not give this a try. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever image a small little hobby would turn into a busy home built business. Last March I was asked to make cookies to sell at a local cookie shop. That also meant I had to spend more time away from the kids as the cookies needed to be made in a licensed kitchen. I gave it a whirl but the extra time away from home grew old fast so quickly my husband and I went to work on a 2nd kitchen in our home to become licensed with the state to bake from home.



We put in a VERY plain, basic kitchen in our basement making sure to follow the health departments guidelines to pass inspection in a timely manor and the rest is history. When the health inspection game through he asked me how many cookies I thought I would make over the next year. My answer...oh I don't know maybe 1000. Well it turns out I was WAY off. That 1000 ended up being 5,060 cookies. Yep that's right, over 5,000 made all by myself in the comfort of my own home.



The next question I always get it how do you possibly get all those cookies done with a house full of kids? The answer... I don't know. Some how its just all works out. I manage to find time at all different hours of the day, or night to get them done. Sometimes its first thing in the morning after I get the boys on the bus, the girls and I head downstairs to get to work. Other times its early evening when Steve is home to tend to the kids. And other times its late at night after I get home from working 2nd shift at my Nursing job.



Last week alone I made 340 cookies. At the beginning of the week as I plan it all out I can't help but wonder, will I get it all done. So far I've successfully met every timeline. So here's to next week and the 200 cookies and 75 cupcakes I have agreed to make. I'm not too nervous, I know I'll get them done, but I am nervous about the fact that I am also having a rummage next week too. So away I go to find my running shoes as another busy week is right around the corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment